Sunday, October 16, 2011

Closet Snooze

I have been scrapbooking for about 5 years now. I see a lot of improvement from my earlier pages. My scrapbooking skills have definitely grown in the last few years. But there is still a lot of room for improvement. In fact the thing I struggle the most with in my scrapbook layout is embellishments. I can do the base of my layout with no problem but when it comes to embellishments, I struggle, it is always an after thought and in the end it looks like my embellishments were an after thoughts.

Well I was watching scrapbooking videos on You Tube when I came across Shimelle's video series that she calls "Sketch to Scrapbook Page". In each video she creates a layout based on a basic sketch and transform them into beautifully finished and embellished layout. I have learn so much from those videos and embellishing didn't seem like such a daunting task.

I decided to put it to the test. Here is my layout following Shimelle's lead.


This layout is from one of my favorite blogs called PageMaps. Every month they post a new series of sketches along with example of pages loosely following those sketches. For my layout I selected a double 12x12 sketch from Aug 2006. I print out the PDF files of the sketch and keep them in a binder.

To follow her Shimelle's style I pulled out the paper I was going to use and selected some embellishments. My friend gave me a set of paper that she had an extra set of. (Thanks Alida, I appreciate you fuelling my paper addiction) So I used the paper collection Alphabet Soup from My Minds Eye. This kit came with some cutout image that I also used and I paired it up with some images from the Art Cartridge Imagine More that I printed and cut out using my Cricut Imagine. So the alarm clock, the owl, and the red cloud shaped image.





This was big for me!! As I said, embellishments are an after thought for me, it was very different for me to pull images at the beginning of my layout planning.

Well here is how my layout turned out. I must say, I am pleased!!



This summer, we where planning a camping trip with the kids for the weekend. My youngest Patrick thought we would be camping that same day. He was disappointed when he found out he had to wait so he declared he would sleep in the closet instead... and he did.


Well this is my layout. I strongly suggest you visit both Shimelle's and PageMaps website. Well worth the surfing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the little thing that makes my day just that more special.